Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quick Trip to Sorrento, Amalfi, Naples, and Pompeii

Well this past weekend, I took the train down to Sorrento and a bus up and down the Amalfi Coast. Then with my Ancient Roman Civilization class, I went to the National Archaeological Museum in Naples. There are lots and lots of pictures!!!! Hope you enjoy!

First was the Amalfi Coast...

A view of Sorrento on the way to Amalfi






This is the town of Positano


In the city of Amalfi! The homes and
stores are built into the mountain!



The bay of Amalfi!



















Then back to Sorrento. It was so nice to see a sunset over the ocean again. It made me miss home. So lovely!
































That night, I stayed in Sorrento and went down to the Marina Grande for some really nice sea food. For those of you that know, I don't really eat sea food. I'm not really a fan of chewy things. But I figured, since I was in Sorrento, a sea town with fresh sea food, I would just have to try their famous sea food pasta. I have to say, the first few bites were a little strange, but after that, I started to get used to it! Not too shabby.


The next day, I went to the National Archaeological Museum in Naples. It is one of the best museums for Ancient Roman artifacts because most of them came from the excavations at Pompeii.

This was found in the Casa del Fauno




This was one of the first sculpture of
the Greek god, Athens, found in Pompeii.



A portrait of Emperor Caracall.


So I wanted to take a picture with one of
my classmates. He is 6'5" and he only comes
up to the calf of this sculpture!





A view of Naples from the freeway!
 After the National Archaeological Museum, I got on a bus with my class and went to Pompeii.


Part of Pompeii that has not yet been
excavated. The plants just grow right
through the ruins! 



Inside a recreated portico in an ancient villa!

The theaters of Pompeii


One of the ancient bath complexes

Some of the human remains that were found in Pompeii




The forum of Pompeii

Casa del Fauno
The largest villa in all of Pompeii. It took
up one entire block of the city!
I have a picture of this from the National Archaeological Museum.


At the end of this road is a view of the ocean!

Standing on ancient ruins in the forum of Pompeii! Yeah ancient stuff!

So that was my weekend away... It was quite the adventure! Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Naples and Pompeii! On Wednesday, I will be going to the Capitoline Museum with my Ancient Roman Civilization class and then Friday, I will be walking all over Rome with my Urban History of Rome class! And then finals and then a cruise and then home. It's amazing how quickly time flies. I have been here for over 100 days and only 24 more days until I come home! I have so much left to do and see. There are so many things that I will not be able to see before I go but I guess that means I will just have to plan a return trip to my second home! Yeah to adventure! ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!!! CAW CAW RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. As always, if you would like to see the pictures in a larger form, just click on the first picture and you can scroll through them all!

No comments: