Sunday, January 13, 2013

A four hour walk through the park and a Baroque tour... You see so much!


Well since we haven't started classes yet, I have been filling my days with lots of walking. I'm expecting to come home significantly thinner because of all the walking, but my feet are definitely a little sore. Oh well, it's the price you pay to see beauty and keep your feet dry.

So I have been sort of slacking on my blogging so I will fill you all in on the last few days. On Friday, we had another little orientation, mostly about academics and then we did a group photo and then we had the placement test for Italian. The test was insanely hard. I think they gave those of us that have never taken Italian the same test as those who had. Not a fun hour. But we did get a chance to walk around for a little while between all the goings on. I walked to Castel Sant'Angelo and took some cool pictures. The sky was beautiful for a short period of time and I got some great shots! When I got home from the test, Rose and I decided to go out in search of a Friday night dinner. One thing that I will have to get used to is such late dinners. Most Italians don't eat dinner until at least 8 so none of the restaurants are open until then. So we had pizza and gelato because that was the only thing we could find that was open. Delicious nonetheless.
This is one of the angels that is on the bridge that leads to Castel Sant'Angelo. They are so beautiful, especially when the sky is blue behind it. 
This is the bridge itself that leads to the entrance to Castel Sant'Angelo. It has probably 10 or so angels across it and is beautifully designed, but then again in Italy, what's not. 
And this is Castel Sant'Angelo. I can't wait to climb to the top of the castle and look out over the river and the city. The sky was beautiful when I took this picture, so blue and wonderful. I can't wait for more days just like this one.
Yesterday, my housemate, Rose, and I left our house and walked to Villa Borghese. It is a huge park that is in the heart of Rome, much like NYC's Central Park, but much more beautiful because, well, it's Rome of course. So on our walk to the park we crossed over the river, jaw some pretty funny joggers, passed by the
Galleria nazionale d'arte moderna, and then entered the park.This park is just huge so we walked around for probably 2 hours and didn't even see it all. It has beautiful sculptures and a lake that people can take little row boats out on. I saw a father and daughter out rowing and it was adorable. It's amazing how families spend time together here. You just don't see that in the US. Anyway, so we walked around the park saw some pretty wonderful sculptures. They even have a free range dog park in a little gully in the park. They had real dogs there too, not just the little yip yip dogs in sweaters that I have seen. We some how found this beautiful point to look over the whole city and Piazza del Popolo. There was one point where the clouds were rolling in and the rays of sun were shining through the clouds. It was wonderful. We then walked to the Spanish Steps. I'm not sure how, but I managed to get a picture with no one on a huge part of the stairs. It was so packed that I can't imagine that happens often. I was rather impressed with myself. After the Spanish steps, we took the metro back to our sector. (The little "cities" within Rome itself are called Sectors. The way I see it, Rome is like a county and then the sectors are like cities). We then made a somewhat authentic Italian meal. We had Tortellini and Mary gave us some of her home made sauce to put on it! It was so good. And then we had tomatoes the way Mary makes them. Cut in half, with a little salt, some oil, oregano, and then some balsamic vinegar! Delizioso!!! And then some Panettone for desert! A rather successful day!
Little old men are just adorable in Italy. I
 know this might seem creepy but I just
couldn't help myself. 

Another one! I just couldn't help myself. They were just adorable! In Rome, love is not something that is only shown in private. You see couples everywhere holding hands and showing their love. Not in the gross American way, but in a sweet Romantic Roman way!
Another thing that you see all the time here.
Dads with their kids. No moms in sight,
just dads out in the park with their kids having
 fun and enjoying the beautiful day!

This was just beautiful! The reflection in
the water was wonderful!
Only in Rome. This was the entrance to the zoo
that was in Villa Borghese! The most beautiful
entrance to a zoo I have ever seen.

I'm not sure why but I thought this sculpture in particular was beautiful. The incredible work put into such a piece in amazing! Can't wait to see even more!
This was the incredible view that I mentioned with the rays of sun poking through the clouds! I just love the colors and wonderful architecture that you see everywhere here!

And my wonderful Spanish Steps! I'm not sure if I will ever be able to get a shot like this again but I'm going to try my hardest! Hopefully I can get one with even less people and a more broad view, but we shall see. 

And as for today!!! Today I went on a "Baroque Walk". One of the professors of the Baroque art classes took us around Piazza Navona and to a few different churches, like the Church of Saint Luigi Dei Francesi. This church has Caravaggio's Calling of St. Matthew and some other beautiful paintings. We also saw the former base of the Universita la Sapienza, the largest church in Europe. I heard the other day that, now, La Sapienza has around 150,000 students! That just killed me. If you want to go to college, you can go. Anyone can go! Anyway, after the little walk through the 1600s, Rose and I found a cute little cafe off of Piazza Navona and had lunch and then stopped by this Gelato place that is on our walk to school and got some Gelato! So good!!! We then walked back home. I think that when the weather gets nicer, we might just start walking to school and just ditch the bus! It's great exercise and you get to pass absolutely beautiful buildings. I just looked it up and from the house to school is 1.85 miles! So that is nearly 4 miles a day of walking just too and from school! Yeah exercise! 



Another shot of Piazza Navona! It's amazing how
 different it looks after rain on a gloomy day!

Another one of the angels on the bridge to Castel
 Sant'Angelo! It looks much more ominous
when the weather is so dreary. 


This is Palazzo di Giustizia, the Court House of Rome. I was amazed that there wasn't anyone else there. This building is so beautiful and right on the way to school. 






























Okay, so these were my last 3 days. Until next time!!! Time for me to sleep. My Italian classes start tomorrow! YEAH!!!!

No comments: